Sunday, April 5, 2015


The Woman UpStairs
Claire Messud




I really had to sit down and think about this book. Nora became endearing to me with all her quirkiness and odd ways. But I really got her,and understood heron many levels.She was a schoolteacher who had reached out to one of her pupils Reza who was being bullied by classmates. She also came close with his family.The Skandars. They became close enough fo Reza 's mom to ask Nora to go in half on an arts studio with her. Why she did this I still am not clear on because although Nora loved her art she had explained she really didnt have the time to indulge in her hobby. And they were both working on seperate projects. So what her agenda was...well we find out in the end. 
For the first time Nora felt part of a family,loved and cherished.They all enjoyed eachother's company Nora even babysat Reza for the family.Thats where I think the taking advantage of Nora came in. Sirena had left for Paris without a word to Nora...leaving Nora sad wondering what was going on. Pulling Reza out of school.Her family in her mind abandoned her.Then Nora took a trip to Paris and thats where the shock..betrayal...comes in and the anger for Nora.Cant say I blame her one bit. I cant wait to hear others reaction on this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment